ENGSOC GENERAL MEETING Minutes
Saturday July 8, 1995, 5pm 5326ME
- Andrew Brearle
- James Carriere
- Alex Devries (chair)
- Mark Dittberner
- Rob Hardy
- Sean Hay (secretary)
- Kia Mennie
- 1. CCS
- CCS has approved EngSoc and Aurora projects as go-ahead.
- They are satisfied neither project poses a security risk.
- They are not concerned with us using their modem lines or ethernet
- 2. Policy
- No further expansion to non-engineers.
- We will likely get our own subnet.
- We will likely get our own firewall:
- improve local security, traffic, only local machines behind
- firewall can NFS mount, may get 386 for firewall and hub from the Dean
- 3. Donations
- The Pyramids are a go-ahead:
- we will get 1 machine-3proc, 10GB HDD (SMD)
- The service contract on the Pyramid is $9000/a (hardware&software).
- CSES cannot afford this contract. We will investigate an alternative
(Ayler Fud. *sp?)
- Alex is pursuing a donation from Crel Tech:
- P-100, 8MB SIMM, in return we give 5 lines of space at login from
telnet to that machine
- 4. User Agreements
- Set by BOG.
- Must be signed by August 1.
- New Users:
- must be who they say they are,
- provide student numbers, we will provide these to Registrar's Office
- provide home phone number and current email address for communication
about their new account
- may choose login name, but we reserve right for final decision on
this matter (wrt controversial or taken logins)
- 5. New Machine
- auk (184.108.40.206) will be set up after meeting
- $184 was spent on new motherboard (VESA LB controller) from Crel Tech
- 16MB SIMM donated from the Dean will go into this machine
- 6. Naming Issue
- Are birds a good theme?
- Kia will campaign for support for a new theme
- Rob Hardy brought up a good point:
- clarify role of BOG, rest of group wrt each other and policy write
- 7. WWW Authoring
- Funds for machines&project
- volunteers sought, if not found, engineering students hired
- Potential clients include PEO, WISE, CUSA (possible problems with this).
- 8. Future Space Considerations
- EngSoc and Aurora will collaborate.
- Dean will help secure space.
- 9. Proposal on Scheduling Projects
- Projects by sub-commitee, BOG can organize this.
- Ask for carleton.engsoc.* newsgroups to be created.
- Keep BOG, have subcommitees group.
- Do this on newsgroups.
- 10. Deliverables
- Sean-policy for government revamp
- Alex-resolve Calvin Htut web authoring offer
- 11. Future General Meetings
- Alternate Sunday and Monday evenings every 2 weeks.
- Next meeting 8:00pm CSES store (5326ME) Sunday July 23.